View Thread
Gongumenn | General | General Discussion
Jogvanth
Sightseeing in Europe

General

Group: Klikan
Posted on 10-02-2007 11:00
What is worth visiting in Europe?

As some of you might already know, I'm going on somewhat of a "road-trip" in late July, early August this year.
I'm landing in Scrabster on July 16th, and am planning on spending the night there, before embarking south towards London on the 17th.
Am staying in Charmes (130 Km north of Paris, France) from the 21st of July to the 4th of August. After this I plan on driving trough Belgium, Holland and Germany, before arriving for a few days in Denmark.
Have not decided fully on when I'm going back home. It is most likely going to be on the 11th of August, from Hanstholm.

During this trip, I was planning on doing a bit of "Sight-seeing" along the way, before coming to København, and staying for a few days, hopefully enjoing a few nice days with old friends, before going back home.

Does anyone have any tips and suggestions for what I might find interresting along my way?

Edited by Jogvanth on 23-02-2007 12:11
www.gongumenn.com Send Private Message
Boddin
RE: Sightseeing in Europe

Regular

Posted on 10-02-2007 12:13
Belgium beer, Holland pot, Germany sausages. Must be some castles or something around that area. Personally I prefer eastern europe. Guess you have to wait for Gongumenn's wikipedia (Norlander) to log on smiley

Jogvanth

General

Posted on 10-02-2007 12:27
Belgium, Beer, check! Holland, Pot, Gonna be driving! Germany, Sausages, Check! (Was thinking beer and Lederhosensmiley) Scotland, Castles, Definetely!

Might be doing Eastern Europe another year. There's a big family reunion in France this year, so that's very much fixed for me.

OKJones

Commander

Posted on 10-02-2007 12:38
Jeez, I was thinking excactly the same thing. Belgium.... Ding!..Beer. You might want to stay in Belgium for a week or two drinking beer, highly recommended. Just don't drink and drive, you probably will spill the good beer. Stop first, then drink, then drive, and so on and so forth. Bring a Navigator, will make it easier to find different places with beer in it.

Why would I want to end every post the same way?

Vuzman

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 10-02-2007 15:14
Belgium isn't the most exciting country in the world though, so you might want to just sample some beer, get a few cases of the best, and leave. And make sure it's some obscure beer, otherwise you could just buy it here...

To help you along with those 100k, I suggest making a stop in Amsterdam and follow roughly the same procedure, just with pot.

http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Roffen

Veteran

Group: Regulars
Posted on 10-02-2007 19:08
While in France the obvious thing is to go to the Eiffel Tower, of course! Other places in Paris include, equally known Champs í‰lysse and Louvre.
Apart from that, I'd recommend a trip to Normandie to have a look at the castles. Some of those places are amazingly, beautifully stunning! I can't remember any town names, so you'll have to do your own research on thatsmiley

In Holland, go to see the Red Light District (needless to say!). But DO NOT bring your camera inside RLS, you might accidently take a picture and cause a LOT of trouble! Trust me on this one! Don't take pictures in the district!

London has it's own series of attractions, I don't know if you plan on stopping there? I missed the chance to visit the Tower, I heard it is supposed tp be worth a visit. But do go to the War-museum, there are some great stuff there. The Wax-museum is an excellent choice as well. the McDonalds are very good in London smiley

When is the Edinburgh festival? If you can give it a visit!

I'm not known in Belgium nor Germany, so I'll leave that to others to advise you on.

Jogvanth

General

Posted on 10-02-2007 22:44
Well, I have 2 weeks in France, in a chateau near Paris, so Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Champs í‰lysse and other things should be easy enough to fit in. The rest of the trip is gonna be "on the fly", so to speak.
I am gonna be having a GPS navigation device in the car, so findng my way around should be easy enough. Only know Aberdeen, Berlin and København good enough to know places worth visiting. The rest of the trip is (as of yet) blank.

Jump to Forum:
Back to front page