View Thread
Gongumenn | General | General Discussion
Grizlas
Communist China 1949-1976

General

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 23-07-2007 19:08
http://mises.org/story/2652

This, I think, is a very important read. The author claims that people know very little about this period of chinese history. I'll have to agree.

There have been so many atrocities carried out throughout history and it can at times get tiresome to keep track of them all. Most people are satisfied with knowing a little something about the holocaust and maybe that stalin wasn't such a good guy. Perhaps they even have some idea that china wasn't a great place either, but that's as far as it goes.

As much as I understand how we cannot remember every little thing about history, I think there's something distinctly unfair about depicting Hitler as the great satan for killing 1.6 million jews when Stalin and Mao killed so many more. Here's a snippet from the article:

"We walked along beside the village… Before my eyes, among the weeds, rose up one of the scenes I had been told about, one of the banquets at which the families had swapped children in order to eat them. I could see the worried faces of the families as they chewed the flesh of other people's children. The children who were chasing butterflies in a nearby field seemed to be the reincarnation of the children devoured by their parents. I felt sorry for the children but not as sorry as I felt for their parents. What had made them swallow that human flesh, amidst the tears and grief of others — flesh that they would never have imagined tasting, even in their worst nightmares?"

Enjoy.

You want to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing?

Jump to Forum:
Back to front page