News Photos Forum Search Contact History Linkbox Calendar

View Thread
Gongumenn | General | General Discussion
Vuzman
Who's your candidate?

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 25-11-2007 15:57
I know some of you are at least not completely disinterested in the US elections, and so you might be interested in this little exercise.

Since we're a whole year away from the elections, and the race for the primaries are ongoing, there are a number of candidates for both parties. Some faces are familiar (Hillary Clinton, Rudy Giuliani, and John Edwards and John McCain from previous races), some we have come to know during past year or two (Barack Obama, Mitt Romney), and others still have been igniting the blogs (Ron Paul, Dennis Kucinich, Mike Gravel).

Some people might think it important that Obama or Clinton get into the White House because they are a different profile than every other president (white male), but one shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. The issues are what's really important.

So without further ado, here'%3Bs a short test where you can enter your choices on a number of key issues for this election, and find out which candidates share your views.

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Vuzman
RE: Who's your candidate?

Admiral

Posted on 25-11-2007 16:06
Take the test before you read any further.

I was not that surprised to find out which candidate shared my views, since I have been somewhat paying attention to the race and the candidates.

I have also taken a closer look at the table on www.2decide.com, which lists the candidates and their positions on the top issues, from which the test above was made.

I was surprised, however, to find that the majority of the test takers agreed with me. Check out the stats from the test.

Norlander

Field Marshal

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 25-11-2007 17:43
You can also access their political compass views via Facebook. It is quite odd to see that almost all of them are in the top right quadrant.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Vuzman

Admiral

Posted on 25-11-2007 21:38
You forgot to tell us who your candidate turned out to be...

Here is that Political Compass of which Norlander spoke:

We have previously discussed the Political Compass here.

Here is what the compass looks like in Europe:

For a guide on how to interpret the Political Compass, and examples of famous world leaders and figures, check out About the Political Compass

Edited by Vuzman on 25-11-2007 21:41
Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 26-11-2007 11:39
This is where my current political compass test has put me. As you can see from the picture all the other people in my "cloud of friends" are in the bottom left quadrant while I am the sole person in the bottom right quadrant.

Your test gives me: Clinton 15, Kucinich 15, Dodd 14, Edwards 13, Obama 13, Richardson 12, Biden 11, Gravel 9 and the rest in negative numbers.

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Norlander attached the following image:

Edited by Norlander on 26-11-2007 11:44
Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 26-11-2007 11:41
Now as for the US elections. No one is in the bottom right quadrant.

I'll say that I like to see either Obama, Clinton or Richardson win, but this is mostly because it would be the first minority or first female president.

I am quite pleased that Chris Dodd took the stand on the FISA bill, but don't think he's got much more in him.

John Edwards. I actually think he cost Kerry the '04 election. He didn't even carry his home state. Now he is a smart, well likable man, but he still hasn't gotten rid of that ambulance chaser aura.

Gravel has gravel in his head. 20 years ago, before he became grandpa Simpson, he might have been good. Now he lives on his Pentagon Papers fame.

Kucinich is an opportunist. I used to like him pre '04, but that was before I dug down into his opinion on various issues. He was anti-choice before he was pro-choice. Until 2002 (when he got Presidential aspirations) he had a 0 rating from NARAL and a 95 rating from the National Right to Life Committee. Those are horrific numbers to anyone with a socially liberal world view.

He wants to vote against several things, that I think are ultimately good for the World, such as the H-1B visa program, the WTO and NAFTA. For a more complete rundown read this opinion by Kos. The tasty bit is this Kucinich quote from the "%3BDubrovnik Conference on the Alchemy of Peacebuilding"%3B:

Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self. The energy of the stars becomes us. We become the energy of the stars. Stardust and spirit unite and we begin: One with the universe. Whole and holy. From one source, endless creative energy, bursting forth, kinetic, elemental. We, the earth, air, water and fire-source of nearly fifteen billion years of cosmic spiraling.

Like Kos, I'm inclined to lump people with this view together with the religious right. Just because their on our side doesn't mean they're not nutjobs unfit for office.

On the republican side only Ron Paul is to my liking. I have watched quite a bit of him over the past half year, and have read quite a lot of commentary on him. I find him to be a good libertarian, but a little too extreme on several key issues.

So there you have it. It's not because I haven't looked into the US elections that I don't have a favorite. It's because none of them are really that good. Wish either Al Gore or Wesley Clark was running again. They were my picks in 2000 and 2004.

edit: added links.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Edited by Norlander on 26-11-2007 16:31
Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 28-11-2007 00:56
More Kucinich on the joys of a strict catholic education (yeah he endorses it)

Tasty bit:

BELIEFNET: How would your personal spirituality affect what kind of president you'd be?

KUCINICH: [I'd be] both grounded and able to envision that place where matter comes together to create the stars and to contemplate both that which is being created and the creator.

I can just picture the Generals in the Situation Room...

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Vuzman

Admiral

Posted on 28-11-2007 09:37
Norlander wrote:

They'd probably think he it was refreshingly down-to-earth compared to Bush...

I don't think he was endorsing the strictness (which wasn't mentioned at all), but rather the outlook it gave him:

KUCINICH: About always doing the right thing no matter what, about never being afraid to take a stand. About a sense of personal responsibility for one's actions.

While I certainly wouldn't be caught endorsing a catholic education, I believe that even I have benefited from being educated by catholic nuns. Not quite like Kucininch, though...

Of course I don't like spiritual woo woo and jibber jabber, but I certainly prefer his spirituality to the religion of Bush. At least Kucinich doesn't feel compelled to crusade against the Muslims.

I'm afraid that when it comes to religion, we'll have to wait a long time for a President without one. Until then, the person with the least focus on his own religious doctrine is probably the way to go.

Edited by Vuzman on 28-11-2007 09:50
Jogvanth

General

Group: Klikan
Posted on 28-11-2007 12:19
Until then, the person with the least focus on his own religious doctrine is probably the way to go.

So you favour an american 'Tony Blair' over the current candidates.

Can't find any with relatively high numbers in the test. Seems I don't agree much with any of them.

No decision is so fine as to not bind us to its consequences.
No consequence is so unexpected as to absolve us of our decisions.
Not even death.
-R. Scott Bakker. 'The Prince of Nothing'

www.gongumenn.com Send Private Message
Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 28-11-2007 12:26
vuzman wrote:
Norlander wrote:

They'd probably think he it was refreshingly down-to-earth compared to Bush...

Down-to-earth wouldn't be my phrase of choice...

We become the energy of the stars. Stardust and spirit unite and we begin: One with the universe. Whole and holy.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Edited by Norlander on 28-11-2007 18:05
Laluu

Veteran

Posted on 29-11-2007 16:58
Interesting test!

I didn't want to feel too strongly about some so I mostly put down "important" rather than "key". This is what happened:

Kucinich 42 (you have no disagreements with this candidate)
Gravel 31, Clinton 22, Edwards 21, Obama 19, Richardson 18, Biden 18
The rest were near 0 or negative

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
- H.P. Lovecraft

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 29-11-2007 17:28
Lol didn't notice the meh, important and key aspects of the testsmiley

Here is my complete rundown:

Edwards 37
Assault Weapons Ban, Patriot Act, Wiretapping, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Iraq Troop Surge, Same-Sex Marriage

Clinton 37
Kyoto, Assault Weapons Ban, Patriot Act, Wiretapping, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Iraq Troop Surge, Same-Sex Marriage

Richardson 34
Kyoto, Patriot Act, Wiretapping, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Border Fence, Iraq Troop Surge, Same-Sex Marriage

Kucinich 31
Death Penalty, Kyoto, Assault Weapons Ban, Wiretapping, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Border Fence, Iran Sanctions, Iran - Military Action, Iraq Troop Surge

Obama 29
Death Penalty, Assault Weapons Ban, Patriot Act, Wiretapping, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Iraq Troop Surge, Same-Sex Marriage

Dodd 28
Kyoto, Assault Weapons Ban, Patriot Act, Wiretapping, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Iraq Troop Surge

Biden 27
Assault Weapons Ban, Patriot Act, Wiretapping, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Iraq Troop Surge, Same-Sex Marriage

Gravel 19
Death Penalty, No Child Left Behind, Kyoto, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Border Fence, Iran Sanctions, Iran - Military Action, Iraq Troop Surge

McCain 4
Abortion Rights, Patriot Act, Wiretapping, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Net Neutrality, Iraq War, Iraq Withdrawal, Minimum Wage Increase, Same-Sex Marriage, Universal Healthcare

Giuliani 2
Assault Weapons Ban, Patriot Act, Guantanamo, Torture, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Net Neutrality, Iraq War, Iraq Withdrawal, Minimum Wage Increase, Same-Sex Marriage, Universal Healthcare

Thompson -3
Paul -16
Cox -19
Romney -20
Hunter -24
Huckabee -27
Tancredo -31
Brownback -43

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Edited by Norlander on 29-11-2007 17:33
Jogvanth

General

Posted on 30-11-2007 02:20
I have not been following the presidential debate at all, so I have no idea of the various candidates or their policies.

Took the test and got these results (Don't even know what they mean, so feel free to tell me):
Kucinich 72
Citizenship Path for Illegals, Iran Sanctions
Obama 48
Patriot Act, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Border Fence, Same-Sex Marriage
Biden 47
Death Penalty, Patriot Act, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Border Fence, Same-Sex Marriage
Gravel 46
No Child Left Behind, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Iran Sanctions
Edwards 46
Death Penalty, Patriot Act, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Iran - Military Action, Same-Sex Marriage
Clinton 46
Death Penalty, Patriot Act, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Border Fence, Iran - Military Action, Same-Sex Marriage
Dodd 44
Death Penalty, Patriot Act, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Border Fence, Iran - Military Action
Richardson 33
Death Penalty, Assault Weapons Ban, Patriot Act, Citizenship Path for Illegals, Iran - Military Action, Same-Sex Marriage
Paul 9
Abortion Rights, No Child Left Behind, Embryonic Stem Cells, ANWR Drilling, Kyoto, Assault Weapons Ban, Guns - Background Checks, Border Fence, Net Neutrality, Iran Sanctions, Minimum Wage Increase, Same-Sex Marriage, Universal Healthcare
McCain -7
Thompson -16
Cox -16
Giuliani -24
Brownback -35
Huckabee -43
Romney -48
Tancredo -61
Hunter -65

Not even death.

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 01-12-2007 15:56
Rama-dama-ding-dong. You need to go follow Hare-Krishna with that high a score for Kucinich smiley

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Boddin

Regular

Posted on 01-12-2007 15:57
I got Kucinich at 39 and Clinton 37 guess I'm just not agreeable

Jogvanth

General

Posted on 01-12-2007 18:45
Well, I've got absolutely no idea who he is, or what he stands for. But apparently we must agree on something.

Not even death.

MordreadRN

Waterboy

Group: Regulars
Posted on 04-12-2007 23:42
My test result..

Kucinich 42
Clinton 34
Edwards 33
Richardson 29
Dodd 28
Obama 27
Gravel 26
Biden 25
Giuliani -9
McCain -10
Paul -14
Cox -15
Thompson -18
Huckabee -20
Romney -25
Brownback -31
Hunter -32
Tancredo -36

Of course, I'm pretty sure that any of the above could do a better job than Bush is doing smiley

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Jogvanth

General

Posted on 05-12-2007 14:33
Have read up on Kucinich.

I think he'd make a good president (in comparison with Bush, who wouldn't), but he does look like he wants to separate the US from the rest of the world. He wants to close the free-trade and remove the worker-visa's. I think this would hurt the US more than it will benefit them.
Might make their national economy better for a while, but they'll have a heck of a time trying to export anything.

Plus, he seems somewhat indecisive on some issues, and nuts on others.
Guess he's the lesser evil compared to the rest.

Not even death.

MordreadRN

Waterboy

Group: Regulars
Posted on 07-12-2007 19:01
I personally think Clinton would do the best job. She is far from perfect but she is smart and she knows that the US needs to keep a good relation with the rest of the world. Obama might be second but I honestly don't know too much about him. He seems pretty popular though.

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Jump to Forum:
Back to front page