News Photos Forum Search Contact History Linkbox Calendar

View Thread
Gongumenn | General | General Discussion
Norlander
Power Ballads

Field Marshal

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 02-06-2008 00:07
Been in the nostalgic corner and came to think about this great record compilation which brings back so many great memories. At least the first two were fantastic, I don't count the third as a "real" onesmiley

Tried searching the web for the complete track listings and ended up with only the Swedish Wikipedia giving me the answer I was seeking (apparently some other Absolute Power Ballads was released in 2006, which messes up Google searches) and the English Wikipedia lists some 2002 album under the Power Ballads (album) page...

Track listings for:
Power Ballads
More Power Ballads
Even More Power Ballads

Browsing the track listings I came to realize that some of these great songs had somehow escaped my mp3 collection, chief among which was 'Alannah Myles - Lover of Mine' and 'Return - Bye Bye Johnny'. I love Alannah's voice (Black Velvet is easily one of my favorite songs of all time) and Bye Bye Johnny is the perfect song to down some Tullamore withsmiley

Though this was not the only song missing in the collection 80's gems such as these were also nowhere to be found and had to be limewired asapsmiley

MSG - When I'm Gone
Damn Yankes - High Enough
Alice Cooper - Only My Heart Talkin'
Warrant - Heaven
Giant - I'll See You in My Dreams

One odd thing is that I seem to distinctly remember 'Winger - I need you now' to be a part of this, but apparently it's 'Winger - Miles Away' that is on More Power Ballads... anyone actually have these old CD's that can check?smiley

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Vuzman
RE: Power Ballads

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 02-06-2008 06:48
Cool! I tried to track these babies down a couple years ago, but couldn't find them anywhere since they apparently were only released in Scandinavia.

I had the first two, but they were stolen at some point. Since everyone I know says the same thing, I can conclude two things. One, no one can confirm the track listing, and two, somewhere, someone has got a stockpile of Power Ballads cds. Or maybe they're all in Havnarvág smiley

Btw, it definitely was 'Miles Away'.

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

Edited by Vuzman on 02-06-2008 06:48
http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Norlander

Field Marshal

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 02-06-2008 13:21
vuzman wrote:
I had the first two, but they were stolen at some point. Since everyone I know says the same thing, I can conclude two things. One, no one can confirm the track listing, and two, somewhere, someone has got a stockpile of Power Ballads cds. Or maybe they're all in Havnarvág smiley

Funny how we all have had the same experience...I think they're all in Havnarvág.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Jogvanth

General

Group: Klikan
Posted on 03-06-2008 11:25
I can try to dig out my old CD collection to see if I can find mine, but I think they've been missing since 'Ye-olden days'.

I have all of those songs mentioned (Except The Cult - Edie (Ciao Baby), Red Hot Chili Peppers - Soul To Squeeze and Glenn Hughes - Why Don't You Stay) as MP3's if you want them.

Wasn't Miles Away on one of the first CD's and I need you now on one of the latter?
I think I remember them both from the Power ballads, although I'm not certain as I owned the LP with both of the songs on.

No decision is so fine as to not bind us to its consequences.
No consequence is so unexpected as to absolve us of our decisions.
Not even death.
-R. Scott Bakker. 'The Prince of Nothing'

www.gongumenn.com Send Private Message
Vuzman

Admiral

Posted on 15-01-2014 16:22
Since the wiki links are dead...

Power Ballads är en samlingsskiva i Absolute-serien, släppt den 25 januari 1991. Sångerna på skivan är Powerballader gjorda av hårdrocksartister och hårdrocksband.

Låtlista

1. Scorpions - Still Loving You
2. Skid Row - I Remember You
3. Poison - Every Rose has it's Thorn
4. Heart - Alone
5. Damn Yankees - High Enough
6. Deep Purple - Love Conquers All
7. Quireboys - I Don't Love You Anymore
8. Alias - More than Words Can Say
9. Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead or Alive
10. Whitesnake - Is this Love
11. Mötley Crüe - Without You
12. Warrant - Heaven
13. Gary Moore - Empty Rooms
14. Alice Cooper - Only My Heart Talkin'
15. White Lion - When the Children Cry

More Power Ballads är en samlingsskiva i Absolute-serien, släppt den 18 mars 1992. Sångerna på skivan är Powerballader.

Låtlista

1. Scorpions - Send Me an Angel
2. Mötley Crüe - Home Sweet Home ('91 remix)
3. Giant - I'll See You in My Dreams
4. Mr. Big - To Be with You
5. Winger - Miles Away
6. Europe - I'll Cry for You
7. Skid Row - Wasted Time
8. D.A.D. - Laugh'n'a ½
9. MSG - When I'm Gone
10. Alannah Myles - Lover of Mine
11. Return - Bye Bye Johnny
12. Ozzy Osbourne - Mama I'm Coming Home
13. Danger Danger - I Still Think about You
14. Gary Moore - Parisienne Walkways (Live)
15. Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

Even More Power Ballads är en samlingsskiva i Absolute-serien som släpptes 1994. Sångerna på skivan är Powerballader. Skivan är en efterföljare till More Power Ballads som släpptes 1992.

Låtlista

1. ZZ Top - Rough Boy
2. Heart - All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You
3. Ugly Kid Joe - Cats In The Cradle
4. Dream Theater - Another Day
5. Foreigner - I Wanna Know What Love Is
6. Mr. Big - Wild World
7. Richard Marx - Hazard
8. Motörhead - Don't Let Daddy Kiss Me
9. The Cult - Edie (Ciao Baby)
10. Return - Take This Heart
11. Dan Reed Network - Rainbow Child
12. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Soul To Squeeze
13. Glenn Hughes - Why Don't You Stay
14. Thunder - A Better Man

Laluu

Veteran

Posted on 16-01-2014 09:17
Sångerna på skivan är Powerballader gjorda av hårdrocksartister och hårdrocksband

-In that case, what are e.g. Alannah Myles and Richard Marx doing on those compilations?
Don't get me wrong, I like them and have cds with their music, but I definitely wouldn't classify them as Hard Rock.

But Vuzman resurrecting this thread has affected me: A short playlist with songs like Miles Away and When I'm Gone is now playing on repeat in my mind - whether I like it or not.
Since I haven't heard some of those songs in about 10 or 15 years my memory seems to repeat choruses or select lines without being able to recall verses and such.

So thank you Vuzman for bringing me one step closer to Eirargarður

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
- H.P. Lovecraft

Vuzman

Admiral

Posted on 16-01-2014 11:19
Laluu wrote:So thank you Vuzman for bringing me one step closer to Eirargarður

You're welcome?

I think it's fair to say that 'Lover of Mine' is a power ballad; it's overly dramatic, has distorted guitars, and is sung by a long-haired, feminine person smiley

Richard Marx did at times have hair that would fit right in with a hair metal band, and he was pretty feminine, but I guess it's a stretch to call it a power ballad.

I went ahead and made a playlist...

Edited by Vuzman on 16-01-2014 11:22
Laluu

Veteran

Posted on 16-01-2014 14:10
I did not disagree with using the term "power ballad" to describe the songs.

What I really disagreed with was the claim:
Sångerna på skivan är Powerballader gjorda av hårdrocksartister och hårdrocksband

I think some of the artists that feature on the compilation are proof that power ballads weren't necessarily a hard rock or metal feature, but formed a kind of bridge between heavy music and other "softer" genres.

Does anyone have an explanation why Black Sabbath's Changes wasn't on the compilations? Would you consider that a power ballad?

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
- H.P. Lovecraft

OKJones

Commander

Posted on 16-01-2014 15:20
Laluu wrote:
I did not disagree with using the term "power ballad" to describe the songs.

What I really disagreed with was the claim:

I think some of the artists that feature on the compilation are proof that power ballads weren't necessarily a hard rock or metal feature, but formed a kind of bridge between heavy music and other "softer" genres.

Does anyone have an explanation why Black Sabbath's Changes wasn't on the compilations? Would you consider that a power ballad?

It's not a power ballad in my book. It's a simple song with piano, bass and some strings. It's just a pop/rock song in my book.

A typical power ballad is slowly building up to a slightly overperformed/emotional chorus x 2/3 then going to the bridge, and a minute or so from the end, a 15 -20 second long not so distorted guitar solo, ending the song the same way it started, that's pretty much it. Oh and lots of strings and backing vocals usually works.

Why would I want to end every post the same way?

Vuzman

Admiral

Posted on 16-01-2014 15:25
Laluu wrote:

Wouldn't call it a power ballad, but it would fit in with the loose definition of these three compilations.

Maybe they only wanted songs from the (then) current era, or maybe it's just a licensing issue.

Jump to Forum:
Back to front page