Check this shit out! smiley

Edited by Jogvanth on 01-12-2006 13:46
www.gongumenn.com Send Private Message
Torellion
RE: Skydiving

Regular

Group: Klikan
Posted on 27-09-2006 02:38
What an idiot. He did everything wrong. It's a small miracle he survived.

Edited by Torellion on 27-09-2006 02:38
Norlander

Field Marshal

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 27-09-2006 14:34
How can you conclude that he did everything wrong from a clip mostly shot at distance? Well that and the small part where you see his whole parachute blow off.

I'd agree that he is a bit stupid for not pulling his reserve right away, but he was probably disorientated and scared shitless.

Torellion

Regular

Posted on 27-09-2006 16:21
Well, general rule of landing a parachute: Don't land in powerlines! Land sideways into a swamp through trees full of angry bees before landing in powerlines. Chutes are manouverable so it isn't that hard.

Also he didn't pull his chute in the first place, he adopted a position that made him fall ass first and he didn't pull his reserve right away. All these things should have been drilled into him during the training and he failed them all.

ps. He didn't do EVERYTHING wrong, I might have exaggerated, but what we see does shows a certain degree of ineptitude on his part.

Edited by Torellion on 27-09-2006 16:28
Jogvanth

General

Posted on 27-09-2006 16:29
A few jumps, out of a perfectly fine aircraft, and all of a sudden, he's an expert !!!! smiley

Grizlas

General

Posted on 06-10-2006 15:04
Heya Rumblefish and welcome to the site

I suppose you're right that its one thing to give great advice and quite another to act in accordance with such advice when under pressure, but Torellion tells me that they go through extensive pre-jump training and preperation. So the analogy would be something like swimming in a tank full tame sharks for 7 days, practising punching them on the nose and once having mastered that skill THEN going out in the ocean to try on wild sharks. If this guy had had such training, it should just kick in when in the situation. So either he wasn't trained properly or he was trained properly but the instructors failed to notice that he was an idiot. In any case, its the instructors fault.

Jogvanth

General

Posted on 07-10-2006 14:06
How the H*** can it be the instructors fault?

That's like saying, it's the driving instructors fault, when you crash your car into a concrete-wall.

Grizlas

General

Posted on 07-10-2006 16:22
Not really. It would be like saying that if a person learing to drive a car crashed into a concrete wall during the test drive with the instructor sitting next to him, it would be the instructors fault. This is his first jump. It's the skydiving instructors job - as well as the driving instructors, to make absolutely sure that before they let their pupils onto the streets or into the skies, that they aren't a danger to themselves and others. It's simple. They're the experts and they should be able to judge wether a person has been sufficiently trained. This guy wasn't according to Torellion who says he completely botched his first jump. The instructors should have known this and should have kept him on the ground. Much like you shouldn't give away driving licenses to people who can't drive.

Jogvanth

General

Posted on 07-10-2006 21:25
But, still comparing, if YOU had taken a drivers ed. course, gotten your license, and on your first solo drive, in the first major bend, suddently sat there, with the steering wheel loose in your hand, wouldn't you freak out?

Grizlas

General

Posted on 07-10-2006 23:20
Yeah I suppose my pulse might increase slightly smiley

However, consider If my driving instructor had been some kind of nut that had me train and train and train for the specific contingency of the steering wheel coming off, and wouldn't give me my license until he, in his expert opinion, was absolutely certain that I would do the correct thing in such a situation. Had I then found myself with the steering wheel off, I think I might instinctively perform whatever action my instructor had drilled into me - if he was so sure I was properly trained.

Generally, driving instructors dont prepare you for the steering wheel coming off, but skydiving instructors train you thorougly for the event of your main chute not opening - something that might actually happen, even if it is unlikely. They run you through it enough times until they are confident that you will do the right thing. Only then do they let you make your first jump. If they fail in their asessment of your ability to do what you've been trained for, they are inadvertedly putting your life at great risk by telling you that you're ready and letting you jump.

Jogvanth

General

Posted on 22-10-2006 19:07
But, no matter how well drilled you are, I believe, that finding yourself hurling towards the ground at 50.000 mph. will inevitably make over 90 percent of the human non-suicidal population shit themselves many times over, before being able to make one rational tought.

Grizlas

General

Posted on 22-10-2006 21:44
I don't share your belief, but if I did, then to me diving instructors would be more guilty than ever. Cheating people into believing they are ready for a jump out of a perfectly good airplane when in fact nothing can prepare you for it.

Jump to Forum:
Back to front page