News Photos Forum Search Contact History Linkbox Calendar

View Thread
Gongumenn | General | General Discussion
Norlander
YouTube Files: James@War

Field Marshal

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 17-07-2009 15:30
Been thinking lately on the effects of YouTube in a wider sociological sense, in part inspired by the excellent lecture "An antropological introduction to YouTube" by Michael Wesch given at the Library of Congress in June 2008 (see gongumenn thread).

One of the things I've been thinking about is the signal to noise ratio. How much bullshit do you have to watch before you get the good parts. He explains it well with the user driven content, user driven commentary, user driven ratios etc.

To highlight one of the better video makers on YouTube I've chosen James@War.

Most of us know the first two vids from him, his spoofs on Nickelback - Rockstar and Timbaland - The Way I Are.

These two vids take the best of spoof songs (weird Al) and add some nice social commentary. He has a third song that we haven't in the linkbox yet. A spoof on Akon - Blame it on me, which some of us will nod a bit too I'll imaginesmiley

Anyone else have something they'd like to share, where one creator has made more then one great youtube vid? It's not hard to find funny or insightful things on YouTube, but I think it's hard to find someone who has done more then one such video.

Now this wasn't meant as an overly serious forum post, though when I'm re-reading it that might be the case. Some of the lines this guy brings up have me rolling in laughter...smiley

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Jump to Forum:
Back to front page