News Photos Forum Search Contact History Linkbox Calendar

View Thread
Gongumenn | General | General Discussion
Boddin
Buying a new notebook

Regular

Group: Klikan
Posted on 09-11-2009 22:25
Like to hear what you guys think of this notebook. I'll be buying it from Elgiganten. If you guys can't find any obvious reason to why I shouldn't, I'll stick with it.

Reason for Elgiganten insted of ordering is the face to face "you.. you motherfuck you.." situation. Had some issues with Zepto and my old notebook, sadly my phone skills aren't like those Joe Pesci has.

Aliennizer
RE: Buying a new notebook

Familiar

Posted on 10-11-2009 09:45
I like it, only thing is the battery. It's has only 6 cells, I would have preferred that it had 9 or more. But that also depends on your needs, if you are primarily gonna use it when it is plugged in then no worries.
Just remember go and have a look, and hear it run. Nothing is as irritating as a jet engine laptop. Also how hot does it get, another problems some of the new laptops have.

- Not all those who wander are lost -- J.R.R. Tolkien

Roffen

Veteran

Group: Regulars
Posted on 10-11-2009 09:55
I have a HP Pavilion Tx1000.
It is not the same model, but here are my experiences:

The cpu-cooler makes a LOT of noise, even in idle state. Honestly, I didn't notice until someone pointed it out to me, and after that it has been a nuisance. (My first notebook!)
The nVidia 6150 built-in graphic-chip didn't get enough cooling and eventually will burn and die. I just sent mine in for repairs. HP acknowledges that it is their fault, so when I get it back, I will install an additional passive cooler there.

Apart from these minor isuues, I like it a lot.
It performs well, and before my faults started, I never had any problems with it.

If you are running vista, you might consider upgrading to 7.

After a superficial search on google, I found that many of the HP-notebooks have similar problems with going down after a year of usage.

Do a search on google.com on your notebook and add 'problem' to the string. e.g. HP Pavilion Dv6-1341eo problem. These are, of course, worst experiences by the most angry customers, so take that into consideration as well smiley

Roffen

Veteran

Posted on 10-11-2009 10:00
I just found this thread as well:
http://mattsblog.ca/2007/12/14/having-problems-with-your-hp-pavilion-dv6000-dv9000-or-presario-v6000-series-notebook/

Jogvanth

General

Posted on 10-11-2009 10:32
I bought my wife a HP laptop, and it has the same cooling problem.

It sometimes gets so hot, that it shuts down automatically. This is a serious problem for us, so check it out before you buy one.

No decision is so fine as to not bind us to its consequences.
No consequence is so unexpected as to absolve us of our decisions.
Not even death.
-R. Scott Bakker. 'The Prince of Nothing'

www.gongumenn.com Send Private Message
Vuzman

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 10-11-2009 12:04
I have only heard bad to indifferent stuff about HP. These days they're making cheapish computers. But I guess you already know that, and are looking for that.

I would go with Windows 7 too, but it seems it is standard on this one.

Vista had a serious problem with bloatware (the stuff the OEM installs for you). After I did a reinstall of Vista on my (work) Lenovo T61 it ran considerably faster, and better. Even if it runs fine I would recommend doing a fresh install...

Finally, try playing with it a while. Make sure the keys are to your liking, and that the keyboard layout won't drive you mad (which the Lenovo layout would have done to me if I weren't using an external keyboard)...

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Vuzman

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 18-11-2009 15:11
Så let går din bærbare pc i stykker, HP-notebooks holder dårligst, Apple er ikke så slem endda.

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Yutani

Regular

Posted on 19-11-2009 01:44
Go Toshiba! smiley

pokertutor@gmail.com johan_the_big http://yutani222.blogspot.com/ Send Private Message
Toxied

Recruit

Posted on 19-11-2009 08:53
Have allways like IBM (Lenovo) for the quality and stability.
Have had 6-7 different work laptop of the IBM(Lenovo) brand and never had any problems. Even with my not so nice handling (Coffee do leave some strains).

But with Dell I have had a lots of problems, My present laptop work fine, but the former Inspire 9400, only work for a little less then 2year, then sound card, cd, screen had some problem.

Have brought a couple of Zepto and MyBook to family because they are cheap, and they still work fine. But both of them have some minor problems with Heat.

But since you wanna buy from a store. I would go for Toshiba, since they also are used as a Business laptop.

Russian Undercover Hacker
--

jedcatwork@msn.com Send Private Message
Laluu

Veteran

Posted on 19-11-2009 09:13
My work-pc is an IBM-laptop that's more than 4 years old. Never had any problems - but then again, I think the main focus of this model was durability and stability, so it's quite big and heavy.

It's funny that Toshiba are now one of the more reliable brands. It's not that many years ago that they had huge problems (at least in FO). I remember classes in Studentaskúlin, where I think about half of all Toshiba laptops had hardware issues within ½-1 year.
I have also had several friends both in FO and abroad where their experiences with Toshiba made them switch to Macs.

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
- H.P. Lovecraft

Toxied

Recruit

Posted on 19-11-2009 22:37
that is funny, look like most brand have a period 1-½ year, where there model is released to fast and have a lots of bug/problems

IBM had i just after it changed to Lenovo.

Had a HP for 1½ month, then I returned to our IT-department, it just did not work so good, the design was not good unstable. And i was not the only one in the company, so after the changed back to Lenovo.

But its so damn had to know, I think i will go after was feel good, when you are working with it. Also that it has enough power to Borderland/Diablo3 and u can use it for HD movie (HDMI or DVI).

Russian Undercover Hacker
--

jedcatwork@msn.com Send Private Message
Jump to Forum:
Back to front page