News Photos Forum Search Contact History Linkbox Calendar

View Thread
Gongumenn | General | General Discussion
Vuzman
iPhone apps

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 16-03-2012 13:27
I've been asked several times for app recommendations, and at one point I compiled a list of apps I use and/or recommend. Here is that list.

Most of the apps are free, but where price is listed, it is in US$ as currencies differ. 1 USD = 6 DKK = 7 SEK. Sometimes apps go on sale or become free, sometimes prices change.

The list is somewhat categorized, but otherwise in no particular order.

Reference
- Wikipanion free. Better than the official Wikipedia app.
- Dictionary.com. English dictionary/thesaurus. Annoying ads.
- The Free Dictionary. Just started using it as. Seems better than Dictionary.com
- IMDb. Really great app.
- Planets (by Q Continuum). The night sky with 3D augmented reality view, i.e. it show the section of the sky where you point the phone.

Social
- Facebook. Duh. Really good app. Open it, click Friends, press the arrow icon, and select to sync contacts. Your phone's contacts will now be synced with FB-photos, birthdays, etc.
- Google+. Meh. Pretty good app, actually, but full of tumbling tumbleweeds...
- LinkedIn. Never use it TBH.
- Skype. Really good, best with wifi, obviously.
- Viber. Free calls and messages to other people who have Viber. Kinda like Skype, but no need to sign up, and your friends appear automatically added based on your phonebook. No video calling yet.
- Flickr. I just use it to watch photos every now and then.
- Haven't found a really good IM yet, but since I use Trillian for desktop, I use Trillian for iPhone.

Fitness
- Runkeeper. GENIUS if you're going running, skiing, etc.
- FullFitness ($1). Reportedly one of the best for tracking fitness. Haven't tried it.
- Instant Heart rate (by Modula). Shines light into your finger for an accurate reading.

Camera and photos
- Camera+ ($2). Best camera app ever. Adds exposure control and lock, focus lock + stabilizer, burst, timer, and effects.
- Instagram. Social picture taking. All the rage.
- Hipstamatic (2$). Lots of cool nostalgic effects.
- Photosynth. Official Microsoft app. For taking panorama photos.
- iMovie ($5). Official Apple app. Pretty expensive, but really great for editing movies.
- Adobe photoshop express. Basic editing.
- iPhoto ($5). Official Apple app. Expensive, but good.
Some other editors and gadget-like apps that might be interesting. I haven't really tried them:
- Snapseed ($5).
- Luminance($1).
- GroupShot ($1). Merge different shots of the same group to combine the best faces.
- AntiCrop ($1). Uncrop photos, i.e. extend them beyond the original.
- Big Lens ($1). Fakes depth of field.

Misc Utilities
- Week calendar (2$, by Utilitap). Best calendar for my needs. Proper month view, highly customizable. If you don't live by your calendar, the built-in is perfectly fine.
- Dropbox. Several apps integrate with Dropbox, making it even cooler. Get a 2 GB account +250 MB here.
- Speedtest.net. If you're curious about your network speed.
- Remote. Official Apple app for controlling iTunes on your PC.
- LED light for iPhone free. Lots of flashlight apps cost money. This one's fast and free.
- Find my iPhone. Official Apple app. If you lose your phone, you obviously can't use this app, but you can if your friend loses his, and you can use his app if you lose yours. Find-My-iPhone also works as webapp, so you can access it from any browser. Sign up for Find-My-iPhone (free) before some random guy takes you out dancing smiley
- Google Search. Has voice search and google docs, etc. Not the best app, but it's ok.
- Dragon Search. Voice search better than Google's.
- Dragon Dictation. Great for taking dictations and turning it into text.
- Opera Mini. Alternative browser. Good for saving on bandwidth use, as data is compressed through Opera's servers.
- Downloads Lite. For downloading stuff, and viewing different formats. Never really use it.
- Sleep Cycle ($1). Registers your sleep via accelerometer. Great if you want to see how you sleep. Especially if you have sleep issues, like me.
- DreamZ. Similar to Sleep Cycle, but the emphasis is on giving you a cue when you dream, so you can have a lucid dream. Third time I used it, I had a lucid dream smiley
- SoundHound. For identifying music you hear. Shazam is an alternative.
- Audiogalaxy mobile. Stream music from your PC.
- Wikitude. Augmented reality app for local sights and stuff. Good idea, but not very useful in practice.
- TuneIn Radio. Radio, you can pausa and rewind live. Pro-version ($1) removeds ads (visual, non-intrusive) and adds recording ability.
- FlightRadar24. See all airplanes in real time!
- Splashtop ($5). Remote desktop for you iPhone!

News and stuff
- Pulse. GENIUS app for reading news and other RSS feeds. Even the Faroese Portal works.
- DR nyheder/TV2 nyheder. Live news and notifications, if you want.
- Portalurin. News, webcams, and flight info.
- StumbleUpon.
- Evernote. Great if you use Evernote.
- Read it later free. If you use Read it later. Safari has a built in read-later function, so might not be necessary, depending on your use.
- Instapaper. If you use Instapaper.
- iBooks. Official Apple app. For reading books and pdf's.
- iTunes U. Official Apple app. For education. Free courses and stuff.

Video
- TED mobile. I think the official app is the best.
- OPlayer Lite. Can be used to view film clips that are not in an iPhone-compatible format. I would still recommend you convert movies to iPhone-format, as these use hardware-decoding, for - Video Time machine ($1). Over 10.000 film clips from 1860 to present day. Very interesting, but only get it if you are a film aficionado, or need to waste time.
- KinoDk. Great app, until you want to order tickets. Then it is the suck.
better and smoother quality. Also, OPlayer you can watch DR-channels live (use the rtsplive-addresses here: http://www.linuxin.dk/node/16129). DR has a webapp, though, so this might be moot: http://www.dr.dk/tjenester/drnu-mobil-beta

Travel and stuff
- Rejseplanen. Not fantastic, but works
- DSB ticket. Only for regional trains, not S-tog... Haven't tried it.
- DSB S-tog. Shows when the next trains depart from the nearest station. Doesn't do much, but does it good.
- Taxi danmark. Order a cab from amager-øbro taxa, and see where the cab is.
- App from your bank. I use Lån og spar. The Danske bank is reportedly better.
- Kontanter from NyKredit. Shows your nearest ATM, also those not from NyKredit.
- Forevermap ($2). Offline maps should you need it. Only if you expect to be in an area without net access, or expensive access.
- FlickTunes ($1). Gesture based music player. Great for playing music while driving.
- Waze. Social GPS navigation!? Not sure if I like it, but it's free.
- GPS Navigation 2 ($1). Uses OpenStreetMap for maps.

Weather
- WeatherPro ($2.5). I like this the best, but there's plenty of free ones:
- DMI byvejret
- TV2 vejret
- Yr

Games
- Chess.com. For playing chess against me, maybe?
- Wordfeud. It's not called Scrabble anymore, it's Wordfeud.
- Infinity Blade ($3). Impressive graphics. Uses the Unreal engine. Very good value for money.
- Battleheart ($3). Fun RPG/RTS-like game. Nostalgic.
- geoDefense lite. Good and different tower defense game. I bought the full version and swarm version as well, both $2.
- Mirror's Edge ($1). Pretty good and original platform runner game.
- Flight control free. Simple, but kinda addictive. Pro version ($1) adds more maps + fast forward button.
- Ticket To Ride pocket ($2). Yes, the original TTR. Come play against me (through GameCenter)!
- Catan ($5). Settlers. Actually good, but expensive.
- Touch hockey FS5 free. Fun to play with kids, but gets old fast.
- Angry birds free. Go ahead, see what all the fuss is about.
These three are the best racing apps:
- Need for speed Hot pursuit lite. Full version is $5.
- Real Racing 2 ($5)
- Asphalt 6: Adrenaline ($1)

As should be obvious from my description, I don't use all of these, or even have them installed. All apps can be seen in the iTunes desktop app with better description and screenshots (these pages are web-accessible and googleable, so maybe just google them).

If you have any app I haven't mentioned, but want to recommend, please do so.

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

Edited by Vuzman on 16-03-2012 15:32
http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Roffen
RE: iPhone apps

Veteran

Group: Regulars
Posted on 17-03-2012 17:30
Thanks for the recommendations, but it just looks like you copied the entire app-store smiley

I'd say that an effective recommendation would be 5-15 apps. No need to range in all over the place. The apps you listed would be fetched faster by sorting by category at the app-store.

Norlander

Field Marshal

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 17-03-2012 17:45
Roffen wrote:
The apps you listed would be fetched faster by sorting by category at the app-store.

Think you're seriously underestimating the amount of apps in the app-store smiley

vuzman made a good effective recommendation there.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Vuzman

Admiral

Posted on 19-03-2012 18:39
Ooh, I forgot: Dominion by Donald X Vaccario smiley

Laluu

Veteran

Group: Klikan
Posted on 19-03-2012 21:55
I agree with Vuzman's recommendations (the ones I know) and I'd like to add a few suggestions:

Portalurin. A really well-made news app. It is the mobile version of portal.fo, but much easier to use and it's easy to load older news. You can even select news streams. However my favourite functions are that you can search for phone numbers and names (intelligent search/auto complete) and check on the arrivals and departures at Vagar airport.

DataMan. You enter the gprs-allowance of your subscription and your billing cycle. The app then uses the iPhone's internal structure to monitor data usage on gprs and wifi. Very useful tool to make sure you don't exceed your monthly allowance or to give you a hint that you should surf more.

LS Addicts. It's supposed to be the best live score app out there. I haven't used it much and struggle a bit with some of the settings. But this thing is huge. It is highly customizable, so you only select the teams/matches/updates you want. E.g. I get updates on all Man Utd matches with reminder about kick-off time, team sheets, goals, yellow cards etc. And the best bit is, that it allows you to watch video highlights by scanning the web for the right videos.

Translate - AKA Google Translate. You know what it is, and it's good!
Google. Good search function. My favourite is that you can use the camera to search for various stuff.

Tango - make video calls. It's pretty good, and unlike facetime, it allows you to call android phones.

Games - I download them from time to time, play them a bit, then get bored, and then delete.
But here's a few that I return to:

-Move the Box. Clever puzzle game.
-SandSlides. draw lines to funnel sand into correct slides.
-Scramble CE. word search game
-Touch Tanks. Funny little multiplayer top-down tank game.
-Crime City. Be a gangster, build and improve your hood with money-generating buildings and defence-boosting buildings, attack and loot other players, complete missions, etc.
-Contract Killer. Haven't played it in a while, but it was a funny little sniper game with excellent graphics. I think the download was around 6 or 800 Mb
-Gun Bros. Top down shooter. Reminded me of old C64 and Amiga games, e.g. Dogs of War.

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
- H.P. Lovecraft

Vuzman

Admiral

Posted on 20-03-2012 14:46
There's a brand new app out, Mobilbilletter, which allows you to buy any kind of ticket in Hovedstadsområdet. Including klippekort. It looks really good, and removes the need to dick around with silly sms'es.

Lazarus

Initiate

Group: Klikan
Posted on 20-03-2012 17:56
True caller: Finds and ads info about your contacts without removing any info.

Viber: Call others who use Viber for free using wifi.

Fragger: Entertaining game.

click a taxi: Good taxi app!

Life ain't always what it seems
So grab it by the balls, and do your best before it leaves

Volbeat: Find that soul

Jump to Forum:
Back to front page