News Photos Forum Search Contact History Linkbox Calendar

View Thread
Gongumenn | General | Music
Norlander
The Greatest Metal Bands of All Time

Field Marshal

Group: Administrator, Klikan, Regulars, Outsiders
Posted on 02-06-2008 14:02
Surfing earlier today I came across a MTV listing of the greatest metal bands of all time, and though I am not a connoisseur like some of you I found the listing to be of interest.

1. Black Sabbath
2. Judas Priest
3. Metallica
4. Iron Maiden
5. Pantera
6. Slayer
7. AC/DC
8. Motorhead
9. Kiss
10. Mí¶tley Crí¼e

My only gripe is - to parapharse Bowling of Soup - when did Mí¶tley Crí¼e become classic heavy metal?!?...if a band in that vein is included then I'd go with Guns n' Roses instead of Mí¶tley Crí¼e in a heartbeat.

Apart from that I'd move Judas Priest down to 4 and bump Iron Maiden and Metallica up one notch - tempted to put Metallica at #1, but the inventors have to be honored.

What do you guys think of the list? Who is forgotten that should be included?

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.
- John Kenneth Galbraith

Edited by Norlander on 02-06-2008 14:03
Norlander
RE: The Greatest Metal Bands of All Time

Field Marshal

Posted on 02-06-2008 14:09
MTV also asked some celebrities to list their top ten, Dave Mustaine said his was:

1. Led Zeppelin
2. AC/DC
3. Judas Priest
4. Iron Maiden
5. Black Sabbath
6. Metallica
7. Megadeth
8. Anthrax
9. Slayer
10. Pantera

Which brings in a forgotten band in the earlier list - Led Zeppelin. Now I can't judge on that since I've never been a big fan of Led Zeppelin - apart from Stairway to Heaven but that's hardly Metalsmiley

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Edited by Norlander on 02-06-2008 14:09
OKJones

Commander

Group: Klikan
Posted on 02-06-2008 18:18
I think that list has quite a broad spectrum when you go from slayer and pantera to black sabbath, ac/dc and kiss. To me slayer and ac/dc for example are uncomparable.

Otherwise I think the list is missing a heavy metal pioneer in Deep Purple. And what tha hell is it with Motorhead always, I just don't get it, Lemmy is a great songwriter (and I mean songs that aren't performed by motorhead) but Motorhead never did anything for me. And I just can't stand Motley Crue they just suck.
All the bands on that list have been selling a lot of records in USA, and that's probably what that list is, an american sale indicator of some sort.

Why would I want to end every post the same way?

Vuzman

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 02-06-2008 18:31
with all due respect for the "originals", I don't think Black Sabbath should be #1. I think Metallica have contributed with more hits, more classics , more originality, and more influence, although when it comes to influence they will always be in the shadow of earlier bands.

Seriously don't know what Judas Priest is doing at #2. Must be that they're an early band and influence yadda yadda.

Led Zeppelin have been quite influential, but can hardly be called Metal. But listen to the riffs in No Quarter, Whole Lotta Love, Kashmir, and Immigrant Song and you'll see why some people would want to include them.

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Vuzman

Admiral

Group: Klikan, Outsiders, Administrator, Regulars
Posted on 02-06-2008 18:35
And I agree, Deep Purple should be there if were talking influence, and Motí¶rhead and Mí¶tley Crí¼e should not be.

I never got Anthrax and Slayer. Any pointers on good songs by them?

When I kill her, I'll have her
Die white girls, die white girls

http://flickr.com/photos/heini/ Send Private Message
Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 02-06-2008 18:49
Motí¶rhead never did it for me either, but seems a lot of people love them for various reasons.

Anthrax and Slayer are together with Metallica and Megadeath considered the big four bands of trash metal (which today probably is considered just metal).

But I'd also like to make a point of including one of the newer acts such as KoRn, Slipknot, Nine Inch Nails, Linkin Park and the like and not filling the list with early risers, glam rockers and trash metal hasbeenssmiley

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Boddin

Regular

Posted on 02-06-2008 19:11
Most of these list include the pioneers, so bands like Black Sabbath, Motí¶rhead and Slayer are most likely on everyone of them. Other than that its just a matter of taste I guess.

Anthrax is just like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin when looking at guitar riffs. So most likely thats why their included. In depth of music you can't compare Anthrax with the others, as for kick as riffs for sure you can.

Only remember "Sound of white noise" by Anthrax atm.

As for Slayer "Dead skin mask" and "Seasons in the abyss"

Another note on Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian is often referrd to as one of the greatest metal guitarist.

Linkin Park I don't get it the others sure. Might mention RATM.

Edited by Boddin on 02-06-2008 19:21
OKJones

Commander

Posted on 03-06-2008 08:15
Well if we are talking riffs, hits, sales, stage antics, rock classics and guitar players where tha hell is Ozzy on this list??? Come on!

Why would I want to end every post the same way?

Norlander

Field Marshal

Posted on 03-06-2008 12:19
Boddin wrote:
Linkin Park I don't get it the others sure.

Linkin Park > Mí¶tley Crí¼e ...

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Laluu

Veteran

Posted on 03-06-2008 13:41
Agree with most of the comments here, but I absolutely feel that Black Sabbath deserve 1st place.
I don't think LedZep should be there, since their heavy-metal'ish things were merely an aside to what I would consider rock and experimental blues.
I imagine the people making that list, had all suffered strokes or something, since they didn't include Deep Purple

Motley Crue suck. Always have, always will! But they've sold shitloads of records and become icons in America. Therefore I can understand them being included in such a list.

OKJones' comments on Motorhead and Ozzy were spot-on.

I would like to include some more modern bands, but it would be difficult to decide which ones to take out of the list. The modern bands I would include are based on how they've reinvented heavy metal or taken it somewhere new:
Korn
System of a Down
Rage Against the Machine
(possibly) Rammstein - for making it cool to have metal songs in other languages than English
(possibly) Nine Inch Nails or Sepultura

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
- H.P. Lovecraft

Jan Michelsen

Initiate

Group: Regulars
Posted on 03-06-2008 13:54
what the hell is wrong with motley crue suddently, you are all wrong they are greatsmiley

AC/DC should be in the top though, ofcourse..

Jump to Forum:
Back to front page